We know that tomatoes are good for the skin, beet juice is great for the liver and watermelon boosts your libido. What about for our eyes?
Congenital and degenerative eye conditions can be prevented, suppressed and slowed down by intake of proper vitamins, minerals, and foods that are great for maintaining a healthy vision. Here are some of the suggested food recipes that could help you boost eye health.
Food for the Eyes
Carrots are great for the eyes but there are lots of foods out there that are also good for boosting eye health and preventing some eye conditions.
Some Omega-3 fatty acids rich fish are salmon, mackerel, and tuna. Omega-3 is not only good for your heart but also helps in preventing ARMD (Age Related Macular Degeneration), dry eyes, and cataracts.
Here is a delicious way to prepare your omega-3 rich fish dish.
Broiled Salmon with Peppercorn – Lime Rub Recipe
Salmon is already full of flavor but pair it with a preferred salad or side dish and you are in for a healthy and delicious dinner!
4 salmon fillets (about ¾ thick)
½ teaspoon koshers salt
2 teaspoons lime rind (grated)
½ teaspoon black pepper (cracked)
1 clove garlic, minced
Lime wedges (optional)
- Preheat the broiler
- Coat the broiler pan with cooking spray and place the fish skin down
- On a separate bowl, combine all the ingredients except the lime wedges
- Sprinkle the mixture over the broiling fish
- Broil for 7 minutes or until desired doneness is achieved
- Serve with lemon wedges and your own preferred side dish
If you are not a seafood lover, you may get a dose of omega-3 fatty acids from fish oil supplements or vegetarian supplements with flaxseed oil.
2. GREEN LEAFY VEGETABLES
Lutein and zeaxanthin are two antioxidants found in the macula of the eyes. The macula helps block the sun to shield the eyes from the harmful rays of the sun. These two antioxidants help absorb the blue light, which is damaging to the retina.
Marinated Kale Salad Recipe
Here is a green leafy recipe made of spinach, kale and other dark greens that are rich in lutein and zeaxanthin.
1 pound kale, stepped and chopped coarsely
3 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup onion (thinly sliced)
¾ teaspoon koshers salt
1 teaspoon ground sumac (optional)
1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds (toasted)
1 tablespoon lemon juice (fresh)
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic (minced)
1 can (14 ounces) unsalted chickpeas, rinsed and drained
¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- In a large bowl, massage kale with olive oil and ½ teaspoon salt. Do this for 2 minutes making sure to coat all surfaces of the kale. Let it stand for 15 minutes to an hour.
- Rinse the onion well with warm water and drain.
- Combine the onions, sumac, and sesame seeds.
- In a bowl, combine juice, mustard, and garlic.
- Add the juice mixture and chickpeas to the kale mixture and toss well.
- Stir in remaining salt and some pepper and top with onion mixture.
Eggs are also rich in lutein and zeaxanthin. It has been found that your lutein levels increase by 26% and zeaxanthin levels increase by 38% when you eat an egg. Egg yolks are also loaded with Vitamin D, which helps reduce the risk of Age-Related Macular Degeneration (ARMD).
Basic Omelette Recipe
2 tablespoons water
Pinch of salt
Pinch of pepper
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, salt, pepper, and water.
- Coat a skillet with a cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat.
- Pour the egg mixture.
- Watch for the eggs to set on the edges before pushing it to the center of the skillet.
- Make sure to let the uncooked portion flow into the empty spaces of the skillet to cook.
- Cover the half of the omelette with desired filling and fold.
- Cook for a minute and serve.
Oysters are very rich in zinc, which helps prevent poor night vision. Add some seafood into your dish and enjoy this classic grilled oyster recipe.
Grilled Oysters (Baked Oysters)
6 big oysters with shell on
3 cloves garlic, chopped
Paprika to taste
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
2 tablespoons melted butter (salted)
Lemon wedges (optional)
- Shuck the oysters. Set aside
- Top the oysters with garlic, parsley, and season with paprika to taste.
- Put some melted butter on each oyster.
- Grill for 5-8 minutes (outdoor) until cooked.
- Add a squirt of lemon and serve immediately.
This is the most eye-friendly of all the snack nuts since it contains a significant amount of lutein and zeaxanthin, plus a lot of Vitamin E. These healthy nuts are simply irresistible. Spice up the nuts and you will surely find it hard to stop munching all of them!
Roasted Spiced Pistachios
8 cups roasted pistachios, salted
3 tablespoons melted butter, unsalted
¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon chilli powder
¾ teaspoon garlic powder
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, stir together melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, and spices. Add the pistachios and stir until well coated.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spread the coated nuts on a cookie sheet and roast for 20 minutes and turn once after 10 minutes.
Our eyes are full of tiny blood vessels hence, it is important to keep good blood circulation inside the eyes. By eating foods that are low in trans fat and saturated fat, we keep our blood vessels in the eyes healthy. Foods rich in antioxidants not only help boost our immune system but also help protect or slow down macular degeneration. Studies show that Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Zinc and Beta Carotene help reduce risks of eye conditions.
Cooking Light. (2016). 7 Best Foods for Your Eyes - Cooking Light. [online] Available at: http://www.cookinglight.com/eating-smart/nutrition-101/foods-for-eyes [Accessed 28 Apr. 2016].
McMullen, L. (2013). 13 Foods That Do Your Eyes Good. [online] US News & World Report. Available at: http://health.usnews.com/health-news/health-wellness/slideshows/13-foods-that-do-your-eyes-good/5 [Accessed 28 Apr. 2016].
Surtenich, A. (2016). 11 Foods to Boost Your Eye Health - Slideshow. [online] All About Vision. Available at: http://www.allaboutvision.com/nutrition/foods.htm [Accessed 28 Apr. 2016].
Cooking Light. (2016). Best Salmon Recipes - Cooking Light. [online] Available at: http://www.cookinglight.com/food/top-rated-recipes/five-star-salmon-dishes/broiled-salmon-peppercorn-lime-rub [Accessed 28 Apr. 2016].
Salad, M. (2016). Marinated Kale Salad Recipe. [online] MyRecipes.com. Available at: http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/marinated-kale-salad-0 [Accessed 28 Apr. 2016].
Eggs.ca. (2016). Recipes - Basic Omelette - Eggs.ca. [online] Available at: http://www.eggs.ca/recipes/basic-omelette [Accessed 28 Apr. 2016].
Recipes, A., Index, R., Healthy, L., Minutes, 3., Year, C., Recipes, A., Recipe, G., Heaven, M., Pea, P., Malaysia, R., moi...), D., Malaysia, R., Malaysia, R. and Malaysia, R. (2015). Grilled Oysters (Baked Oysters) | Easy Delicious Recipes. [online] Rasa Malaysia. Available at: http://rasamalaysia.com/grilled-oysters-baked-oysters/2/ [Accessed 28 Apr. 2016].
Babble. (2011). Roasted Spiced Pistachios. [online] Available at: http://www.babble.com/best-recipes/roasted-spiced-pistachios-the-perfect-salty-snack/ [Accessed 28 Apr. 2016].
Share this post