In a fast-paced society, stress is like a predestined path that each one of us has to go through in a day. Stress is identified with physical, emotional or psychological pressure that takes a toll on us with varying responses. Before overcoming stress, we need to understand what is stress.
Each one of us may have personal definitions for stress. For a student, it could be a difficult exam. For a mother, it could be her wailing toddler and household chores. Our bodies respond to stress in different ways.
Did you know that our bodies actually release hormones to our bloodstream when we are under stress? Adrenaline and cortisol (stress hormones) prepare our bodies for the “fight or flight” response. Our bodies have an amazing way of reacting to the stress in our lives. These hormones make the heart beat faster, constrict the blood vessels for more blood supply to the core of the body instead of the extremities.
“Are You In Control?”
Dealing with stress is a personal thing. This means that each person has his/her own ways of coping and each individual has varying tolerance to the effects of stress. But what do you do when it goes overboard?
The good news is, you can actually take charge of the stress in your life and manage its ill effects. Your thoughts and actions towards negative stress make a lot of difference. You are indeed in charge and in control!
Ways To Deal With Stress
“Know your demons”. Identify your stressors first and look into your own thoughts, emotions and actions on these particular stressors. It is important to get to know the “enemy” for you to be able to identify what weapons to use in dealing with it. Once you have pinpointed the “beast” then it is time to charge on! Below are some tips on how we can manage our stress in the most natural ways.
- Organize – Studies show that a mess actually makes us edgy. It helps to organize things to de-clutter your mind. Organizing things makes you feel in control of your life.
- Get Physical – You can start by doing a few minutes of exercise in the house or go outside and take a walk. Any form of activity will actually help in the release of feel good hormones from the brain called endorphins that boost your mood.
- Socialize – Communicating with the “right” people will help you loosen up and make you feel happy. It diverts us away from loneliness, boredom and the feeling of isolation from the rest of the world. Always keep in touch with family and friends.
- Avoid the Stressors – This might not be entirely realistic for all situations, however, the least you can do is know your limits and learn to “say no”. Alternatively, avoid the people or type of environment that will stress you out.
- Learn To Accept – There are things in life that are unavoidable. You need to accept the things that you cannot change. It might also be good to let go of the standards that you have set. The quest for perfection can stress you out and make you unhappy.
- Relax! – This is probably the most important tip that you can use to combat stress. Take time to breathe and have fun! Keep in mind that we are not permanent in this world. Enjoy life and have fun while you can.
Choosing to be healthy is always a good stronghold when you are on your journey to overcoming stress. Eat healthy, get moving, avoid smoking and cut down on excessive drinking. Stress will always be around but it is up to us to decide on how to deal with it.
The next time you are faced with a stressor, remember some of the tips that will work for you. It might actually save your life.
Find out here about the natural products to help you in your stress-combating quest.
Heart.org. (2016). Stress and Blood Pressure. [online] Available at: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/PreventionTreatmentofHighBloodPressure/Stress-and-Blood-Pressure_UCM_301883_Article.jsp#.Vwy0VqR97IU [Accessed 12 Apr. 2016].
Helpguide.org. (2016). Stress Management: How to Reduce, Prevent, and Cope with Stress. [online] Available at: http://www.helpguide.org/articles/stress/stress-management.htm [Accessed 12 Apr. 2016].
Alvarez, D. (2015). 10 ways to relieve stress naturally | Fox News. [online] Fox News. Available at: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2011/07/06/10-ways-to-relieve-stress-naturally.html [Accessed 12 Apr. 2016].
Share this post